Today is the day I make my first Gap Yah blog (and for those spelling critics among you, yes I did mean to put Yah instead of Year - look it up!). So far on my Gap Yah, I haven't done a lot.
Checklist:
- Tried (and failed) to find a job which doesn't require previous work experience? Check.
- Applied to various universities and embarrassed myself at interviews? Check.
- Promised that I'd keep up with old friends but failed epicly? Check.
- Looked out of my window, listening to Emo music, and pondered life changing phenomena such as this:
Check, check and check.
I'm sure you get the picture.
But this is the point it all changes, because in one week precisely, I am going to New York State, United States of America. I am terrified, and not just because the tea in the US is quite different to the classic British tea. I am spending a good 2 months doing work experience with three different legal firms, living with a host family whom I have never met as part of a Rotary Youth Exchange.
Thanks to the Rotary International, I was spared the horrors of multiple contracts and forms, but I still had to book my own transport and the I have the minor responsibility of being a representative of my country in the US. As a person usually surrounded by sarcasm, British humour and Marmite, I am going to a country which is culturally very different. All I can say is a massive thank you to both Rotary Clubs!
But one exciting part so far (aside from multiple visions of American sweets) was my trip to the Post office to buy American dollars. Having bought the money, my first urge was to wear some "swag" clothes and have a bath in the dollars, whilst drawling a rap written by an artist who clearly didn't own a dictionary. Thankfully, common sense kicked in and I remembered to let the water out of the bath first.
![]() |
| Abe Lincoln and I getting acquainted... |
Joking aside, I did enjoy getting to know Abraham Lincoln's face a little better in preparation for a week's time. Getting the money has solidified the fact that this is all real. I, Lucinda BSH, am really going to a different continent. Now all that's left to do is to buck up, do some packing and pysch myself up for the cultural experience of a lifetime!
Kisses,
Luce
PS. Many thanks to the wonderful Rotary clubs of New York State and the Rotary Club of Banbury for doing so much to make this exchange happen; I could not be more excited or grateful!


No comments:
Post a Comment