Monday, 27 January 2014

Through American History

Time: 8:16am
Temperature: 0F
Location: Beardsley Land Managing (workplace of Joanne Butler who I am now living with)
Emotion: I don't think 'cultured' really counts as an emotion, but that's how the beginning of this week has been. So I'm just going to go with 'cultured'.


"I have a dream!"
These four words are undoubtedly some of the most famous words not only in American history, but in world history and to put them into context and get the full effect, I would strongly urge you to watch this video:



[This is an edited down speech; for the full speech, click HERE]

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/20/6087150/memorable-quotes-from-martin-luther.html#storylink=cpy

Martin Luther King Jr, 28th August, 1963. If you don't know who this man is, please Google him, then bury your head in shame. This man was the leader of non-violent political activism protesting the racial discrimination in many American laws in the 1950/60s.

If you haven't guessed yet the reason for this politically slanted Blog, Monday 20th January was Martin Luther King Jr Day, which, since the year 2000, has been a national holiday for America.
As a person interested in both law and public speaking, I think this man serves as great inspiration for anyone who believes that however inferior a person is treated, he can make a vast difference in the world.

END OF POLITICAL/INSPIRATIONAL SECTION

Okay, political/inspirational part is over, so for all you ostriches with your heads buried in the sand, you can resurface, try and remove all the sand from various parts of the body (which is impossible - 3 months on from a beach trip and I'll still find sand in my shoes) and continue reading my blog. Back on track!

Luther Celebration
I didn't do much on Martin Luther King Jr Day, but I did get the chance to return to Reva Rollerdrome (not to skate, I hasten to add!) and help bake some celebratory cupcakes which all skaters would receive.
Well... when I say bake, the actual cakes were already cooked and Ellen Ferro proceeded to do the icing, so all I really did was artistically splash hundreds and thousands on the finished cakes. But my efforts were vastly important for the overall effect of the cakes, so a job well done, I think!

Seneca Country Court House
As with every other Tuesday while I've been here, I went to Rome Canzano's office. However, this week was a little different. For starters, I went an hour earlier (there was a lot of internal crying at this fact) because Rome said we would be going to Seneca county court for the morning and return at lunchtime for the Rotary Meeting. So, bright and early on Tuesday morning, Rome and I jumped into his car and drove to Seneca county, arriving about half an hour early. So far so good.

We waited.

And we waited. 9 'o' clock, the supposed starting time came and went with no sign of a judge or most of the court. Rome said these things often took a long time to get started. Another half an hour along and we were still sitting in court, which had been taken over by a drug court. Apparently, it was common that cases were put at the same time to make the process as efficient as possible and to make sure there wasn't any waiting.

We waited for two and a half hours at Seneca County Court for a 5 minute discussion between Rome and the Judge. We then drove all the way back.

Now don't get me wrong, it was interesting to see the drug court in action for some of the waiting time. But if I'd wanted to spend time waiting around, I'd rather have spent that extra time in bed! According to Rome, this scenario happens quite a lot for him, so that's one visible downside to becoming a Lawyer.

The Move to Joanne Butler
This Monday, I left the Ferros to start the next part of my exchange at Joanne Butler's house. After inflicting a broken wrist on me, I could not be more glad to leave.

ONLY JOKING! It was sad saying goodbye, especially to Netflix who had become a firm friend of mine during the extreme cold, but it's great to have variety. Whilst Joanne's house is a lot quieter, it is no less lacking in friendliness, heating and most importantly, FOOD. *Note to self; the visible alteration of priorities to food is becoming quite worrying. Try and locate the source of the problem before it gets out of hand.*

Lack of tourist sites
I am going to apologise (note to Americans the spelling of this word) for the lack of any famous

tourist sites. So far, the most cultured I've been is drive past one of the Finger Lakes and discover that one of America's secretary of States was born here (William Seward). I do have plans to go to Niagra Falls, skiing, etc etc, but I have been really busy the past couple of weeks. When I'm not working, I'm eating *ahem, sorry! Food is making an unwelcome appearance again*. Let's try again; when I'm not working, I'm getting to know the area/its people. When I'm not socialising, I'm sleeping. I promise that I will try to be more interesting and explore all New York has to offer.

Another pronunciation/word confusion
I know... you're probably rolling your eyes for the 100th time and saying "this is becoming a bit of a habit in your blogs, Luce". I get it. But I feel so strongly about it this week, I have to say something. Any Americans reading this, please do not be offended!

Word #1: Burglarized
We all know the word burglar, yes? Derives from anglo-latin. Someone who steals. Also the job of Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit? We also know that some nouns can also be adapted into verbs (e.g. a building <--> to build). In England, the "burglar"'s cognitive verb (thank you for teaching me that phrase, Greek camp. I don't know what I'd do without you) is to burgle or be burgled. But apparently in Amerca, from the noun 'burglar', they created a verb 'to burglarize or be burglarized'. Then from that, they decided they liked the long words so much, they changed the noun to a 'burglarizer'.
*26th January: I have been reliably informed that only parts of the US changed the noun to burglarizer. But even so, it seems a little unnecessary!*

Word #2: Niche
"Sacrebleu!" I hear you cry. "This sophisticated French word cannot possible be pronounced as anything but 'neesh'!". Wrong. I have thrice heard this word being pronounced nitch. Oh, America... what did the French ever do to you? Why must they be subjected to such a deep humiliation as this? Would you start eating kitch for dinner rather than Quiche? Oh well, I suppose it's not that important.

Any Americans reading this (if they haven't stopped reading already in protest), I apologise! I know that our great nations differ greatly in spelling/pronunciation and there is no real 'right' version. But when the word is neither English nor American, it is common courtesy to pronounce it as it should be pronounced. God save us if we ever pronounce foie gras as foy grass.

Finally, to dispel any negativity you may feel towards me for my slightly heavy-going/political blog, here are some cat pictures.


Right, enough randomness for one blog. I wish you well, fellow procrastinators,


Kisses,
Luce


P.S. Wrist is doing well... Doctors think only 4-5 weeks in cast so *fingers crossed* I'll be better in time for Banbury Young Musician of the Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment