Temperature: 6F
Location: Sprawled across my bed which has become a graveyard of chocolate wrappers (yes, parents, I know you are saying to yourselves "What's new with that?")
Emotion: Contented. Hello? Those chocolate wrappers weren't always empty...
Hello everyone, how are you? I'm doing great, thanks for asking! Everything's fine, weather's cold, and... I'm procrastinating! So far in the past hour I have discovered:- The king of hearts in a card pack is the only king without a moustache
- Elephants are the only mammals which can't jump
- There is a town in both West Norway and in Michigan, USA called Hell and every year, both freeze over
Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. The list of amazing things in this world is endless. I have discovered something incredible/astounding over here in America. I had mentally prepared myself for the excitement of Drive Thru food places, such as McDonalds, but I had no idea that America had Drive Thru banks and pharmacies! Whilst I may not approve of fast-food Drive Thrus (call me traditional, but you can't beat a sit-down, candlelit dinner in McDonalds), Drive Thru banks and pharmacies are revolutionary! Why do we not have these in the UK!? Rome Canzano and I stopped off at a Drive Thru bank so he could make a deposit. I have never been so excited, not even the day I discovered the remarkable likeness between an otter and Boris Johnson yawning.
NFL Superbowl
Okay, so many of you will know I'm not exactly Jessica Ennis when it comes to sport. To be quite honest, I'm more Honey Boo Boo's Mum when it comes to sport (if you don't know Honey Boo Boo or her Mum, good for you! It's a cantankerous reality TV program based on a six year old devil child who partakes in "Beauty" Pageants (with her intolerant, racist family) who all earn an exorbitant amount of money for their ignorance). I digress, back to what I was saying: I am not a huge sporting fanatic.
![]() |
| Sums up most of the game... |
Oh, and whilst I'm on the subject of sport, I feel I should quickly tell you that I, Lucinda Bourne Swinton Hunter, who managed to get out of all serious exercise for her entire time at school, went to the gym for the first time in 8 months last week. I have gone to the Y (the gym) every day, morning and evening, for the past two weeks and actually exercised! Please restrain yourselves... try not to have a heart attack... If you feel the need to hyperventilate from shock, please breathe! It is a shock, I know, but this is something I hope to continue. There was a slight mishap which I feel I should share. This Monday, I went to the Y and, as I was zipping up my rucksack with one hand (broken wrist is still a bit sore at this point), I punched myself in the eye with my good hand. Yes, you read that right. My hand dropped the rucksack and somehow connected to my eye. I then had to go to drug court with a watery, slightly bloodshot eye. This is not ideal when you are walking around a court designed to check for signs of drug or alcohol abuse.
For the literary among you, here's a poem:
There once was a gym called "The Y"
The finest from here to Dubai,
Luce gave it a go,
Pumped weights like a pro
Before punching herself in the eye.
Just call me Shakespeare.
Blizzard
If I'm asked what I'm getting out of this Rotary Exchange, my immediate response would be Pneumonia. We have reached temperatures cold enough to make Antarctica seem Mediterranean. The most extreme weather conditions I've seen were on Friday; it was a full-on, can't-see-more-than-a-metre ahead blizzard. Imagine old, analog television white noise. However clogged up the roads got initially (because it was swimming pool depth snow), the way the North Americans deal with snow is unbelievable. The roads were clear within a couple of hours. England, please adapt accordingly.
Dinner with Kelly Guy
Dinner with Kelly Guy
![]() |
| It took a couple of tries getting everyone together........ |
![]() |
| But eventually we got a semi -decent pic! |
Kelly: So boys, we're going to do our tradition! *Turns to me* We basically have this tradition when we have guests over; we all go round and say something in the day we are grateful for.
*Everyone says something nice that has happened to them*
Kelly: Right, Jordan, do you want to go next? (FYI, Jordan is the youngest and unbelievably small and cute)
Jordan: My favourite thing today was meeting Lucinda and having her for supper.
Lucinda: *Almost cries from the adorableness*
...
Later in the evening, Jordan proceeds to make me a little bracelet out of elastic and I thank him for it...
Jordan: You will tell your family about me, won't you? You'll show them the bracelet and say I made it?
Lucinda: *I JUST CAN'T TAKE THE CUTENESS PLEASE JUST STOP*
Clock Tower
All readers, thank you for your patience: I realise this blog is a little longer than it normally is. I've just been doing a lot the past week or so. This picture on the left is the Phoenix building where I work with Rome Canzano and, as you can probably see, it has a very beautiful clock tower. The building is owned by a very cultured, interesting man called Andrew Simkin and he offered to take me up onto the roof and into the clock tower. Naturally, I eagerly accepted the offer. Not only did I get to see the mechanics of the clock, but I even got to wind up the Counter weight. I'll post a few pictures so you can see...
Okey dokey, that's probably enough to be getting on with for the moment! As per usual, a cat picture to brighten up your day (if my blog hasn't brightened it already...
![]() |
| can i licks this |
Luce
xx
Oh, and here's a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch, simply because he is Benedict Cumberbatch:



.jpg)
.jpg)


.jpg)
.jpg)


Great post, Lucinda.
ReplyDeleteAlistair