So... this will be a very short blog, just tying up some loose ends!
The last week spent in America was quite stressful; I tried to cram all my things into my suitcase. This shouldn't have been a difficult task (my suitcase almost as big as me!) but I have a knack of acquiring things when I go away.
The last rotary meeting was quite surreal. Nobody could quite believe I had spent 7 weeks in America; it felt like a few days! I gave a short "goodbye" speech (and when I say short, I mean my version of short i.e. a good 5-10 minutes!?) and just said some "thank you"s. I handed over the District 1090 badges (Banbury District) and received a very bright orange banner of the Auburn Rotary. I was also given a number of small gifts for me... A mug with pictures of all the places I worked, some postcards of the Finger Lakes in different seasons, a beautiful navy scarf with the Rotary symbol on it and a book of Auburn in the last century. Whilst I was very very grateful for the generosity of the gifts, as I received more and more, I was becoming more and more concerned about the space (or lack thereof) in my suitcase. I did NOT want to get stopped in customs.
But, somehow, by sitting on my suitcase until it squashed down enough, I got everything in, said goodbyes to the Ferros and got into the waiting car that would take me to Rochester Airport. That journey was so surreal; we listened to country music, I saw the last of the American scenery, heard my last American accent, I'm getting a little teary just thinking about it now!
So, 2 flights, 16 hours later, a car ride home and I sit in my room. It feels like the past 2 months have been a particularly well thought out dream. But then I remember that it was all real, Niagara Falls, the Law Courts, EVERYTHING!
I got so much out of the Rotary Exchange. Maybe a little list might help?
- Smaller communities are amazing
- There are no stereotypical addicts; addiction can affect anyone at any stage
- According to every lawyer I met over there, law is a terrible career choice!
- That roller skating is a bit dangerous, but also the most fun I've had in a long time
- Niagara Falls will no longer exist in 10,000 years
- That my complete obsession with Country music can only be explained by the hypothesis that I have some Southern blood in me
- That English people in America face two situations: Americans either love the way we speak or they tease us mercilessly
- Interrupt boys watching basketball at your own risk!
- NO TRACE OF AN AMERICAN ACCENT (for all my family members who are claiming I have a slight accent)
I have lived through a broken wrist, snow storms, temperatures lower than Antarctica, a hundred "Oh my gaaaad, you're English!?", 3 different work places, 7 intense weeks... And the best part is that I don't regret a second of it!
So... the last britabroad2013 blog! Don't start weeping into your pillows. You don't need to worry about withdrawal symptoms... I am still going to blog!
Uncork the champagne, Luce is now blogging from Italy for the next 4 months! I have a new blog address....
http://britaly2014.blogspot.com
So, add this link to your favourites and be sure to check every week because this Blogger is far from finished.
See you all soon!
Luce
xx
Uncork the champagne, Luce is now blogging from Italy for the next 4 months! I have a new blog address....
http://britaly2014.blogspot.com
So, add this link to your favourites and be sure to check every week because this Blogger is far from finished.
See you all soon!
Luce
xx
No comments:
Post a Comment